M. Scott Ogden Jr.
Fuerst, Carrier & Ogden
Over 50 Years of Dedicated Family Law Experience
Partner at Fuerst, Carrier & Ogden, Scott routinely handles legal issues related to all aspects of family law, estate and probate, and civil litigation, with a small amount of his practice devoted to criminal defense. A thoughtful, intelligent attorney, Mr. Ogden is known for his knowledge and heart as he navigates legal issues that are often sensitive and emotional for his clients.
Mr. Ogden likes to think outside the box — focusing on creative resolution and collaborative processes when possible — but is a trial lawyer at his core. He has successfully handled trials on ex-parte emergency custody, relocation, sole custody, community property partitions, spousal support and divorce. He also won the Flory Trial competition at LSU Law during his second year, and traveled around the country for various trial competitions thereafter.
After earning a bachelor’s degree in business from Louisiana State University, he went on to obtain a Juris Doctor, graduating cum laude in 2015 from the Paul M. Hebert Law Center at Louisiana State University. Scott graduated in the top 25% of his law school class, and was also a Paul M. Hebert Scholar for two semesters after working up to the top 10 percent of his class. He then attended Harvard Business School Online in 2018 to study sustainable business strategies. While law is his primary focus, Mr. Ogden is also involved in a number of other businesses with various partners, and considers his “side hustles” a secondary passion.
Admitted to practice in Louisiana, Mr. Ogden has been named a Super Lawyers Rising Star from 2018 through 2022. He has also been named among the 10 best attorneys by the American Institute of Family Law Attorneys, the top 10 attorneys under 40 by the National Academy of Family Law Attorneys and one of the top 10 family law attorneys by Attorney and Practice Magazine. He was also selected for the “13 Thriving 30-somethings” by Thrive magazine in 2021.
Areas of Practice
- Family Law
- Estate Planning & Probate
- Business Law
- Civil Litigation
- Criminal Defense
- Louisiana, 2015
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 2017
- U.S. District Court Western District of Louisiana, 2017
- Supreme Court of Louisiana, 2018
- Louisiana State University, Paul M. Hebert Law Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- HBX | Harvard Business School, 2018, Certificate in Sustainable Business Strategy
- Louisiana State University, Bachelor’s Degree, Major: Business Management
- Author, Digest, McDonald v.Chicago, 130 S. Ct. 3020, Aspen Publishing, 2013
Honors & Awards
- Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2018 – 2022
- Rising Star, American Institute of Legal Advocates, 2018
- Acadiana Profile; Top Lawyer, 2019, 2020, 2021
- Top 40 Under 40 (Family Law), Association of American Trial Lawyers, 2018-2022
- Top 10 Family Law Attorneys, Attorney and Practice Magazine, 2017-2021
- 10 Best Attorneys, American Institute of Family Law Attorneys, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Top 10 Under 40, National Academy of Family Law Attorneys, 2016-2022
- 10 Best Attorneys, American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys, 2017
- 13 Thriving 30-Somethings, Thrive Magazine – 2021
- Cum Laude, LSU Paul M. Hebert Law Cent, 2015
Professional Associations and Memberships
- SWLA Young Lawyers Division Board, Member, 2018 – 2021
- Southwest Louisiana Bar Association, Family Law Section , Treasurer, 2019 – 2021
- Southwest Louisiana Bar Association, 2017 – Present
- National Bar Association, Member, 2016 – Present
- Louisiana State Bar Association, 2016 – Present
- LSU Law Trial Advocacy Board, Member, 2015