M. Scott Ogden Jr.
Fuerst, Carrier & Ogden
Over 50 Years of Dedicated Family Law Experience
Partner at Fuerst, Carrier & Ogden, M. Scott Ogden Jr. routinely handles legal issues related to all aspects of family law, estate and probate, and civil litigation, with a small amount of his practice devoted to criminal defense. A thoughtful, intelligent attorney, Mr. Ogden is known for his knowledge and heart as he navigates legal issues that are often sensitive and emotional for his clients in Lake Charles, Louisiana.
After earning a bachelor’s degree in business management from Louisiana State University, he went on to obtain a Juris Doctor, graduating cum laude in 2015 from the Paul M. Hebert Law Center at Louisiana State University. While in law school, he was in the top 25 percent of his class for four semesters, earning him the title of chancellor’s scholar. He was also a Paul M. Hebert Scholar twice after working up to the top 10 percent of his class.
Admitted to practice in Louisiana, Mr. Ogden is a member of the Louisiana State Bar Association and was named a Super Lawyers Rising Star in 2018. He has also been named among the 10 best attorneys by the American Institute of Family Law Attorneys, the top 10 attorneys under 40 by the National Academy of Family Law Attorneys and one of the top 10 family law attorneys by Attorney and Practice Magazine.
He has successfully handled cases of ex parte emergency custody, relocation, sole custody and right to relocate, community property partitions, spousal support and divorce. Mr. Ogden has also volunteered over 400 hours as a law clerk for Orleans Public Defenders and has experience as a judicial intern in the United States District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana.
Areas of Practice
- Family Law
- Estate Planning & Probate
- Business Law
- Civil Litigation
- Criminal Defense
- Louisiana, 2015
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 2017
- U.S. District Court Western District of Louisiana, 2017
- Supreme Court of Louisiana, 2018
- Louisiana State University, Paul M. Hebert Law Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- HBX | Harvard Business School, 2018, Certificate in Sustainable Business Strategy
- Louisiana State University, Bachelor’s Degree, Major: Business Management
- Author, Digest, McDonald v.Chicago, 130 S. Ct. 3020, Aspen Publishing, 2013
Honors & Awards
- Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2018 – 2019
- Rising Star, American Institute of Legal Advocates, 2018
- Acadiana Profile; Top Lawyer, 2019
- Top 40 Under 40 (Family Law), Association of American Trial Lawyers, 2018
- Top 10 Family Law Attorneys, Attorney and Practice Magazine, 2017
- 10 Best Attorneys, American Institute of Family Law Attorneys, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Top 10 Under 40, National Academy of Family Law Attorneys, 2016, 2017, 2018
- 10 Best Attorneys, American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys, 2017
- Cum Laude, LSU Paul M. Hebert Law Cent, 2015
Professional Associations and Memberships
- SWLA Young Lawyers Division Board, Member, 2018 – Present
- Southwest Louisiana Bar Association, Family Law Section , Treasurer, 2019 – Present
- Southwest Louisiana Bar Association, 2017 – Present
- National Bar Association, Member, 2016 – Present
- Louisiana State Bar Association, 2016 – Present
- LSU Law Trial Advocacy Board, Member